Project Engineer – Solar (Remote Role)
OnSwitch Inc. (www.onswitchenergy.com) is a commercial solar/storage project development and installation company, undergoing fast growth that offers new employees strong career opportunities. Their proprietary software product, SkyQuoteTM, simplifies the marketing and sales of solar projects, while at the same time simplifies how building owners evaluate and buy OnSwitch solar projects: Customers can access online in seconds an accurate, comprehensive solar project proposal (SkyQuote) for any or all of their buildings.
OnSwitch focuses on behind-the-meter solar projects nationwide ranging from 30kW to multi-megawatts, with particular focus on multi-building solar project portfolio sales and installation. Our customers include F500 corporate buyers (direct sales channel) as well as top solar project development companies (indirect sales channel).
OnSwitch is seeking a Project Engineer who has ability to supervise and manage multiple construction projects simultaneously across multiple geographies, while working on other
projects that are in the pre-development stage. The Project Engineer will report to OnSwitch’s Head of Engineering.
OnSwitch is headquartered in San Francisco with an East office in New Jersey. This position is remote-based though employees based in San Francisco Bay Area or northern New Jersey can benefit from weekly in-person team collaboration.
- Coordinate all aspects of project design, including site data collection, organization of
project information, direction and coordination of engineering firms, review of work product from engineering firms, and preparation of project deliverables
- Ensure that design and engineering work product align with project goals, as defined
by sales team. Ensure that project work product is delivered on-time and at high quality. Work product includes items such as interconnection applications, drawing sets, calculation packages, and reports.
- Develop and improve processes and tools to enable continuous improvement and scalability of OnSwitch operations.
- Lead collection of site information as input to the design and engineering process. Plan and coordinate site survey work, collection of existing site documentation.
- Provide technical support for OnSwitch projects, including product qualification, review
of designs and calcs, review of equipment specifications.
- Provide support for permitting activities as needed. Deliver Issue-for-permit drawing set to the project installer to enable submission to the local AHJ.
- Lead the creation of Issue-for-construction drawing sets to ensure complete and accurate information.
- Provide technical support during project execution, responding to RFIs, supporting technical trouble-shooting, supporting commissioning and performance testing, and
documenting as-built conditions.
- Ensure that system performance calculations are as accurate as possible and aligned with design parameters.
- Collect and collate all design and engineering requirements. Ensure that design requirements are defined and communicated to engineering resources. Ensure that design requirements align with customer or AHJ technical requirements.
- Research permitting requirements in new jurisdictions, as needed.
- Perform other project engineering tasks as required.
- Contribute to process improvement activities to drive scalability and efficiency in
Skills and Qualifications
- BS Degree in Engineering
- 5 years of experience in project engineering for energy-related construction,
particularly renewable energy. Experience in C&I solar projects preferred.
- Knowledgeable in the areas of solar array design and optimization, inverter technology,
utility interconnections for DER, permitting for construction projects.
- Experience with solar performance modeling tools and reports.
Compensation and Benefits
- Benefits include 4 weeks paid vacation, 10 paid holidays, medical, dental, and vision
- At-market salary
To apply, send resume and brief cover statement to firstname.lastname@example.org.