Director, Cost Estimation and Services Procurement
OnSwitch Inc. (www.onswitchenergy.com) is a commercial solar/storage project development and installation company, undergoing fast growth that offers new employees the strong career opportunities. Their proprietary software product, SkyQuoteTM, simplifies the marketing and sales of solar projects, while at the same time simplifies how building owners evaluate and buy OnSwitch solar projects: Customers can access online in seconds an accurate, comprehensive solar project proposal (SkyQuote) for any of their buildings.
OnSwitch focuses on behind-the-meter solar projects nationwide ranging from 30kW to multi-megawatts, with particular focus on multi-building solar project portfolio sales and installation. Our customers include F1000 corporate buyers (direct sales) as well as top solar project development companies (indirect channel).
OnSwitch is headquartered in San Francisco with an East office in New Jersey. This position is remote-based though employees based in San Francisco Bay Area or northern New Jersey can benefit from weekly in-person team collaboration.
We are seeking a Director, Cost Estimation and Services Procurement with the following general responsibilities –
- Responsible for all aspects of project costs including estimation of costs, procurement of installation services
- Develop execution and procurement strategies by collaborating with engineering and construction teams
- Develop and improve processes and tools to enable continuous improvement and scalability of OnSwitch operations including the development of software to automate cost estimation
- Responsible for success, timeliness, competitiveness, and accuracy of the estimating function.
- Manage and oversee all estimation up to construction-start for solar, storage and EV charging projects.
- Develop and maintain estimating best practices and recruit, train & develop junior estimators/analysts.
- Ensure all estimates fit the design, scope and customer standards associated with the project.
- Regularly analyze as-built capex costs and employ feedback-loops with the Execution team to influence curves.
- Ensure proper prioritization of capex estimates based on sales needs, backlog and company priorities.
- Evaluate, critique and negotiate supplier quotes; ensure quoting process is timely & accurate
- Develop and maintain material vendor relationships to ensure accurate pre-construction quotes and scopes
- Participate in the sales process as a subject matter expert to support winning bid strategies
Process improvement and technology development
- Owner of all estimating tools, models, curves, methods and processes
- Contribute to process improvement activities to drive scalability and efficiency in OnSwitch operations.
- Closely work with Procurement and Execution teams to keep a robust cost database current
- Continuously track and report on the estimating team’s turnaround times and processes
- Owner of the web-based cost model. Provide requirements to the software team to develop cost model that will integrate with the SkyQuote technology
- Manage cost related tables in the SkyQuote database
- BS Degree in Engineering, Construction, Statistics, and Math.
- 5 years experience in solar & storage engineering scopes, including electrical, mechanical, structural, civil and permitting and permitting compliance. Experience in C&I Solar projects preferred.
- Creating complex estimating models and/or financial models.
- Successfully leading internal teams or project teams.
- Negotiating pricing, scope and terms with vendors.
- Working with solar preferred vendors.
To apply, send resume and brief cover statement to firstname.lastname@example.org.